Re: Constraints for VRML

Stephan Diehl (diehl@cs.uni-sb.de)
Sun, 07 Sep 1997 12:53:03 +0200

John Gwinner wrote:
> My primary interest is not with VRML that can describe worlds. I think
> these will always be distributed somewhat. My primary interest is in
> files that describe 'parts' of a world, with some kind of network protocol
> (browser / server) that puts all of these objects together, in an object
> oriented way. In other words, I don't think OO-VRML has to describe every
> possible world out there. It does have to describe things in such a way
> that they can be included in other (OO-VRML) worlds.

Classes and the extended type system better describe the
interface of an object to the rest of the world than prototypes
do. But as a browser implementor you might also find other
information helpful, like bounding boxes, whether an object
can change or is static, e.g. the coordinates of an
IndexedFaceSet might change dynamically.

Cheers
-- Stephan

Dr. Stephan Diehl Tel.: ++49-681/302-3915
EMAIL: diehl@cs.uni-sb.de WWW: http://www.rw.cdl.uni-saarland.de/private/diehl
There is no place like $HOME