Re: Separating a file into two parts,

Stephan Diehl (diehl@cs.uni-sb.de)
Tue, 10 Jun 1997 11:38:12 +0200

Park SungWoo wrote:

> 1)
> In these days, one discussion topic of VRML mailing list has been 'where to
> define named nodes which will be used later in several places ???'.

I don't think we should make this part of our proposal. The
VRML community as a whole will have to come to some consensus
on this matter, probably a recommended praxis.

> 2)
> Another serious problem we MUST solve before entering into
> writing our proposal is that we should specify clearly
> the scope of node names.

The scope of node name should be the same as in VRML 2.0
specifification, but in addition whenever a node name is
visible so are its fields. If the type of a field is
a subtype of SFNode then we can again access a field
of its value, but only those which are known via its
type, e.g.

CLASS A EXTENDS SFNode [ field A next NULL ]

DEF Foo A { next A { next A { } } }

DEF Foo2 A { next Foo.next.next }

But for example

DEF Foo3 Transform { children Transfrom { children A { } } }

does allow to access Foo3.children
but not Foo3.children.children
because the field children is of type MFNode and
MFNode has no default fields.

Cheers
-- Stephan

Dr. Stephan Diehl Tel.: ++49-681/302-3915
EMAIL: diehl@cs.uni-sb.de WWW: http://www.rw.cdl.uni-saarland.de/private/diehl
There is no place like $HOME